Welcome to Milola's guide to choosing your next sofa or armchair! Choosing the right sofa for your home can be a daunting task, with so many different styles, sizes, and materials available, it can be difficult to know where to start. But don't worry, this guide will take you through everything you need to know to find the perfect sofa for your living room, tv room or snug. We cover the different types of sofas and chairs available, the advantages and also flag any watch outs of each, through to choosing the right size and upholstery. So sit back, relax, and let us guide you through the world of sofas...
Types of Sofa or Armchair
Classic 2 & 3 or 4 Seater Sofas
The 2 or 3 seater sofa is a classic choice for any living room or snug. These sofas are designed to comfortably seat two or three people, making them the perfect choice for smaller spaces or for those who prefer a more intimate setting. Unlike a modular sofa a 2, 3 or 4 seater often comes in one piece with only the feet to attach, for example our Sits Teddy Sofa. Sometimes the arms needs attaching as well, but overall it's easy to assemble, but don't forget to consider the access as these can be harder to manoeuvre in smaller spaces like lifts and stairwells.
Sectional or Modular Sofas
A sectional sofa is still often referred to in terms of number of seats, however the main difference is it is made up of multiple sections that can be arranged in different configurations to fit your space. This makes them a great choice for larger living rooms or open plan spaces. They can also be used to divide a room into separate areas for different activities, such as watching TV and reading. The modularity of these sofas, like with out Sits Alva sofa, lends itself to more angular and larger depth seats, allowing you to sink into them at the end of a long day.
A loveseat is a smaller sofa that is designed to seat two people. They are a great option for smaller living rooms, snug, bedroom or as an addition to a larger sofa. Loveseats come in a variety of styles and designs, from classic to modern like the Sits Moa Sofa.
A corner sofa is a great choice for those who want to maximize their seating area while still maintaining a stylish and modern look. These sofas are designed to fit perfectly into the corners of your room, making them a great space-saving option. They often come with a chaise longue, bench or divan end, which is perfect for stretching out and relaxing after a long day. The corner sofa is also a great option for those who like to host guests and entertain, as it provides plenty of seating space and is extremely sociable. The Milola Gryon Sofa is a great example of a comfortable and stylish corner sofa to complement your living room or snug.
An armchair like the Sits Holly armchair is ideal for those who want a comfortable and stylish addition to their living room or snug. They are perfect for reading, relaxing or simply enjoying a cup of coffee. Armchairs come in a variety of styles and designs, from traditional to modern, and can be paired with a sofa or used on their own. Many people choose their armchair in a different, but complementary style to their sofa to create a statement and character (see accent chairs below). Armchairs are also a great option for smaller spaces or for those who want to add extra seating to their room.
Reclining and Accent Chairs
A recliner chair is an armchair that has a backrest that can be tilted backwards and sometimes a support for your feet that comes up, allowing you to recline and relax in ultimate comfort. They are a popular choice for home theatres or for those who like to watch TV in comfort. They are available in a variety of styles and designs, and can come with an electric or manual operation. We love our Sits Isa Reclining Chair for its supreme comfort as well as beautiful styling, its the perfect complement to any room.
An accent chair is a type of chair that is designed to stand out and add a pop of color or texture to a room, a great way to add personality to a space and can be used as a statement piece, The Martini Chair by Muller is a great example of this, absolutely stunning. Arguably this is the one chair where form is more important than the function, it's ability to uplift a space, for example on a landing or in an entrance hall where it is the principle focus point and in many situations will be rarely sat in!
This chair/sofa/sofa-bed has an extended seat that allows you to stretch out and relax. It's great for reading or taking a nap. Normally this would be used in addition to or in conjunction with a regular sofa or in larger spaces it can be used in solo, like in expansive hallways. Some sofa's even come be a chaise longue as well as a sofa bed, like the Fly Sofa-bed from Bolzan Letti which offers practicality, as well as a beautiful piece for any space, especially guest rooms.
Choosing the Right Size Sofa
As a homeowner or renter, it's important to choose the right size sofa for your space. Remember what looks great in a showroom may swamp your living room, but equally you need to find a sofa that meets your needs.
Here are some top tips to help you out:
1. Measure your space - Before you start shopping for a sofa, measure the space where you want to put it. Make sure to measure the length, width, and height of the area, and consider which wall the sofa will be against; a long sofa against a long wall of a narrow room could make the room appear narrower for example.
2. Consider the size of the room - If you have a small living room, a large sofa might overwhelm the space. Similarly, if you have a large room, a small sofa might look out of place. Consider the size and scale of the other furniture in the room as well, think about how you could use armchairs and occasional chairs to complement your sofa and create a sociable and cosier space.
Also, a sofa with legs like the Sits Justus Sofa elevates the sofa off the floor giving the sense of more space, whereas a sofa which sits to the floor with a lower base and smaller less visible feet, can make a room feel smaller (Linda by Sits). Depending on the size of your space, it can be a useful tactic to make larger rooms feel less empty and smaller spaces more open.
3. Think about the purpose of the sofa - Do you want a sofa for lounging like the Sits Milano sofa, or for entertaining guests? If you plan to use it for lounging, you might want a larger sofa with deep cushions and support for when you lean back chilling in front of the tv. If you plan to use it for entertaining, you might want a smaller sofa with a firmer seat that creates more seating for all your guests, for example the Sits Hugo sofa.
4. Don't forget about doorways and hallways - Make sure the sofa you choose can fit through your doorways and hallways. Measure these areas and the turning circles to ensure a smooth delivery process.
Choosing the right Fabric or Upholstery for your Sofa or Armchair
The upholstery and covers you choose for your sofa can have a big impact on its comfort, durability, and appearance. Here are some things to consider:
1. Fabric - Sofas can be upholstered in a variety of fabrics, from cotton and linen to leather and velvet.
Leather sofa covers are a popular choice for many homeowners because of their stylish appearance and durability. Leather is a natural material that is known to last for many years if properly cared for. Here are some pros and cons of choosing a leather sofa cover:
- Durability: Durable and can withstand regular wear and tear. They are resistant to stains and spills and can be easily cleaned with a damp cloth.
- Appearance: Leather sofa covers have a timeless, classic look that can complement any decor style and are available in a wide range of colors and finishes, from matte to glossy.
- Comfort: Leather sofa covers can be comfortable to sit on, especially over time, as they wear and show their age they almost tell the story of their years of use.
- Cost: Leather sofa covers can be more expensive than other fabric options. However, they are often seen as an investment due to their durability and long-lasting quality.
- Maintenance: Leather sofa covers require regular maintenance to keep them looking their best and should be cleaned and conditioned periodically to prevent cracking and drying out.
- Temperature: Leather can be cold to the touch in the winter and sticky in the summer, which can be uncomfortable if they are located in direct sunlight for example.
Cotton and linen
Cotton and linen are both popular choices for sofa covers, as they are comfortable, natural and breathable fabrics. Here are some pros and cons of choosing a cotton or linen sofa cover:
- Comfort: Cotton and linen sofa covers are soft and breathable, which can make them comfortable to sit on and a practical choice in hotter and colder weather.
- Versatility: These fabrics are available in a wide range of colours and patterns, making it easy to find a sofa cover that complements your decor style.
- Easy to clean: Cotton and linen sofa covers are often machine washable, making them easy to clean and maintain, a great choice for families with pets, young children or older children who just love to treat a sofa like play equipment! .
- Durability: While cotton and linen are both durable fabrics, they may not hold up as well as leather or other synthetic materials over time.
- Wrinkles: These fabrics are prone to wrinkles and may require ironing or steaming to maintain a smooth appearance. They can also give more over time than other fabrics, giving a slight sagged appearance.
- Stains: Cotton and linen are more prone to stains than leather or synthetic materials, so spills should be cleaned up quickly to prevent permanent damage, however protective sprays can be purchased to help maintain their lifespan.
Velvet sofa covers are a luxurious and stylish option for those looking to make a statement in their living space. Here are some pros and cons of choosing a velvet sofa cover:
- Comfort: Velvet is a soft and plush fabric that feels luxurious to the touch.
- Style: Velvet sofa covers can add a touch of elegance and sophistication to any room.
- Durability: Velvet is a durable fabric that can withstand wear and tear, making it a great choice for high traffic areas.
- Insulation: Velvet can provide insulation, making it a great choice for colder climates.
- Maintenance: Velvet sofa covers can be more difficult to clean and maintain than other fabrics. They may require professional cleaning or regular use of protective sprays to keep them looking their best.
- Cost: Velvet sofa covers can be more expensive than other fabric options.
- Fading: Velvet can be prone to fading over time, especially if exposed to direct sunlight.
Selecting the Cover Style for Your Sofa or Lounge Chair
Color and pattern - The color and pattern of your sofa can make a big difference to the overall look and feel of your room. Neutral colors such as beige, grey, and white are versatile and can easily be matched with other pieces of furniture and decor. On the other hand, bold colors and patterns can make a statement and add personality to your space. When choosing a color or pattern, consider the style of your room and your personal taste.
To summarise, choosing the right sofa for your living space is an important decision that should not be taken lightly, especially as a sofa is often an item you will have for years to come and be a focal point of your living area.
By considering factors such as size, materials, and color, you can ensure that you find a sofa that not only looks great, but also meets your functional needs. Whether you prefer the softness of velvet or the durability of leather, there is a sofa out there that is perfect for you and your home. So take your time, do your research, and make the right choice for your space. And remember, at Milola, we are always here to help you find the perfect sofa for your home.